The CLGA links all Labour Party centre and left democratic-socialist groups and newspapers, all of whom will be working for a Labour General Election victory. As the 2010 Manifesto consultation draws to a close we are backing the following approach:
1. For Labour to win the election, it has to set out a clear agenda of public investment in contrast to Tory cuts. Investment will restore economic growth which is necessary to rebuild government revenues and so reduce the public deficit.
2. Labour should make a clean break with market dogma, deregulation and privatisation. Everyone who shares Labour values can see the difference between public provision inspired by service, and private sector greed. That's why Royal Mail must remain wholly in the public sector and train operation brought back into it.
3. Equality, fairness and social justice can only be achieved by Labour making a much bigger investment in council housing for rent. Greening the economy is vital to tackle climate change and create more jobs. Fair pensions for all must be a right. Spending has to be increased in the NHS, state education, renewable energy and public transport.
4. Wealth creation goes hand in hand with more redistribution to boost living standards of the low-paid, unemployed, disabled, elderly and anyone disadvantaged. High pay should face higher rates of tax, and low pay lower rates. Union rights to help safeguard employees from exploitation should be strengthened. Personal liberties are as important as national security.
5. The whole of the financial sector, including retail and investment banks, must be taxed to pay for the global bailout. Savers and investors have to be better protected from wanton greed. Lending for social purpose must be ensured.
6. Our international aid must be increased to 1% of GDP, and paid for by abandoning Trident, and bringing troops home from Afghanistan. Social Europe must be strengthened, and our commitment to the rule of international law never put in doubt again.